Important 2018 Summer Dates and Information–
Student and Parent Summer powerpoints will be posted after the summer meetings
Suggested Strengthening Exercises for Hips and Ankles by Two Trees (visual examples by clicking on link at the top and entering the code)
Summer Functional Strength Weight Program (males M-W, females T-T 11:00-12:30)-View exercises below
Strength Program links to view exercises (equipment needed-band, med ball, roller, dumbbell)
Monday, June 18th: Mandatory meeting for all Foothill Technology athletes and their parents. Meeting will begin at 5:45pm in Spirito Hall for new parents. Meeting should be packed, so get there early! Returning athletes and parents, please show up at 6:30pm.
After the conclusion of the general meeting, cross-country will break off into our own specific meeting in the Black Box (J-bldg). All specific information about training schedules, summer practices, tryouts, fund raisers and the fall competitive schedule will be handed out on this date. If you are unable to attend this meeting, please email me prior to that time and we can set up an alternative meeting.
Tuesday, June 19th: Cross-Country Academy starts: Cross-Country Academy will run from Tuesday, June 19th through Friday, June 22nd to introduce new runners to the Foothill Technology program. All newcomers and freshmen are encouraged to join our cross-country mentors at the Black Box by 11am on Tuesday, June 19th to learn our warm procedures, our training methods and learn a little bit about our strength program. Please click on the link below to learn more about the first ever Cross-Country Academy. Newcomers who complete the full week will receive an FTHS CC tee shirt. FTHS Shoe night will be at Mile 26 will be updated for 2018. All students will get a 15% discount and 15% of the money will be donated back to FTHS.
Wednesday, June 20th: Strength and conditioning program starts for all interested cross-country runners at the Black Box. It will include a general introduction program and a strength program specifically designed for cross-country runners. Athletes will learn proper weight room procedures, a variety of lifts and their techniques and will be put on a periodized strength and conditioning program. COST IS FREE!
Saturday, June 23 until Saturday, July 14th: REQUIRED CIF DEAD PERIOD–FTHS Coaches may not meet with FTHS cc athletes for “running” specific activities. Athletes may meet on their own, develop and create their own training sessions during this time. This, of course, is completely optional. It is highly suggested athletes get themselves in shape prior to the start of official practice. The weight lifting program is allowed to go on under the guidance of the FTHS CC coach during dead period. On June 28 and July 5 Two Trees will be provided physicals for FTHS CC runners. See flyer about.—Two Trees has not been updated for 2018
All Permission Slips (please sign and bring to first day of summer practice)
DATES BELOW HAVE BEEN UPDATED FOR 2018
Monday, July 16: First official practice. We will meet in classroom F104 at Foothill at 6pm on that night. We will go through our first practice that day for all cleared athletes. That practice will include our warm up procedure, a run, our cool down procedure, our strength and core procedure and our check out procedure. Anticipated time of this meeting, plus practice will be from 6pm to 8pm. Please allot the full time for practice so you can learn the Dragon way to cross-country success. Leave your cell phones, your iPods and other electronic devices in your backpack or at home. They will not be used during practice time. If you have a GPS watch, you may wear that to practice.
Week of July 16: Practices are currently scheduled to be Monday and Thursday at 6pm. We will start at Foothill Technology High School and we will finish at Foothill Technology High School. Over the course of the summer, practices will meet at different spots. The first week, would like the practices to start and finish at Foothill so we learn the safe routes and the proper routines. There will also be optional swim workouts starting at this time. Swimming is tentatively scheduled at Ventura High Pool from 12:30 to 1:30pm on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. Swimming is a great cross training activity that helps increase cardio vascular fitness, breathing patterns and strength. While running is the best activity to become a better runner, swimming, spinning and biking can greatly enhance fitness and allow greater activity with less stress on the body.
Week of July 23: Practices will be on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. Practice locations will be announced at a later time. There will be a 1 mile cross country run for time this week. These practices will be at 6pm. Tuesday practice will be at San Pedro entrance to San Buenaventura State Beach from 6:00 to 7:45pm. There will also be an optional Friday morning practice at 8am at Foster Park. Swimming is tentatively scheduled at Ventura High Pool from 12:30 to 1:30pm on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. Possibly optional invitation only practice on Saturday to Sycamore Canyon.
Week of July 30: Practice will now be Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. The first tryout test will occur this week. It will be a 1.5 mile run for time. Except where noted practice will be at 6pm. Swimming is tentatively scheduled at Ventura High Pool from 12:30 to 1:30pm on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday.
August 4-10: Tentative elite camp at Big Bear for invited athletes: Camp will be with Yucca Valley. Depending on transportation and cost, the plan is to take approximately 7 to 10 males and 7 to 10 females. Cost is tentatively set at $300 per athlete.
Week of August 6: Practice will once again be Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. These practices will be at 6pm. There will also be a Friday practice at 8am at Foster Park. There will also be a Saturday AM practice by invitation only. Swimming is tentatively scheduled at Ventura High Pool from 12:30 to 1:30pm on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday.
Week of August 13: Practice will now be Monday through Friday. Practices will shift to 8am on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday. This is the week prior to school, so want to make the gradual transition to school time. Thursday practice will be at 6pm at Foothill Technology and Friday will be a time trial/tryout run tentatively scheduled for 5pm to 7pm at Ventura College West Field. These activities are tentative right now. May do a time trial on Thursday and a Foster Park 8am workout on Friday. Saturday practice will be at UCSB to run the course for the Gaucho Invitational and the annual team end of summer picnic.
Week of August 20: Monday practice will be at 8am at Arroyo Verde Park. School starts on Wednesday. Tuesday is tentatively scheduled for 8am at San Pedro. Daily afternoon practice will start at 2:05, beginning Wednesday. Most days, it will be done between 4:30 and 5:00pm. Please schedule accordingly. Daily attendance is expected for the entire practice. Final tryout will be this week. Currently it is planned for Saturday night at 7pm at Buena High School track. Expectations will be ability to complete 3 miles nonstop by the start of school. Key here is the ability to complete the runs nonstop. Making the team will be determined by points. Points can be accumulated by
- Getting athletic packet in on time.
- Participating in summer practice (1 point for each practice attended during the summer.)
- Positive attitude and honest effort to improve are primary concerns at practice.
- Daily use of online training log (Register for XCStats is required)
- If out of town or unable to attend practice, log will help accumulate points.
- Participating in the timed runs (there will be three prior to the three mile one)
- Participating in team fundraisers or community service during the summer.
- Attending and completing swim workouts
- Workouts are optional, but can help improve fitness and point total
- Participating in one summer community race and finishing in the allotted time
- Performing well in the 3-mile time trial tryout.
- Performing well means completing nonstop and making an honest effort
- For safety reasons, all members of the team need to be able to run 3 miles nonstop by the beginning of school.
- Specific minimum goal times can be sent out if an athlete is interested.
- Participation in the 2 mile Hoka One-One race on the Buena Track tentatively scheduled for Saturday, August 26
Summer practice is not mandatory, but it is highly suggested. If you make the time and effort to come to summer practice and do your runs, you will be successful in the tryouts. If you have conflicts, simply take the time to email Mr. Reeves and get your work completed. All runners will be sore for the first three weeks of training, regardless of ability or experience. Summer practice will be a gradual progress to help build a base so we can excel in the fall. This progression will help prevent injuries and allow the athlete to get ready for the transition practices necessary to run fast. If you are in town, it is suggested that you come to practice. There is no problem if you go on vacation with your family. Expectation would be getting your runs in during vacation, keeping your training log and emailing Coach Reeves your actual workouts over vacation. That will certainly count toward your tryout points. If you are going on vacation, it is suggested you take your running shoes and get out for a run daily. Some days that may be difficult due to travel, commitments or special activities. That is completely understood. Please remember that aerobically, basically you lose one day you exercised for every two days you take off. Summer training is the key to a successful, injury free season.
It is always easier to train with people and teammates can help you move to the next level. Summer training this year will help build the future of our program. Do a little each day and you will get better over time. Looking forward to an exciting progression this year. Some of you will find that you are really good at this and some of you will find out you love the feeling of getting and being in shape. All of you will find out that the fitter you are, the better you are able to focus on your academic work. The skills learned at summer practice can help you both on the cross-country course and in the classroom.
Summer Training Programs-Updated for 2018
- March 21, 2018 @ 18:40:44 [Current Revision] by Yiu Hung Li
- March 21, 2018 @ 18:40:44 by Ken Reeves
- March 21, 2018 @ 18:40:20 [Autosave] by Ken Reeves
- March 21, 2018 @ 18:38:57 by Ken Reeves
- January 31, 2018 @ 17:43:15 by Ken Reeves
- January 31, 2018 @ 17:34:27 by Ken Reeves
- January 31, 2018 @ 17:23:50 by Ken Reeves
- January 31, 2018 @ 17:22:24 by Ken Reeves
- July 25, 2017 @ 03:34:57 by Ken Reeves
- July 24, 2017 @ 13:44:22 by Ken Reeves
- July 20, 2017 @ 00:50:23 by Ken Reeves
- July 19, 2017 @ 01:25:50 by Ken Reeves
- June 29, 2017 @ 16:17:49 by Ken Reeves
- June 28, 2017 @ 15:50:15 by Ken Reeves
- June 28, 2017 @ 15:49:50 by Ken Reeves
- June 28, 2017 @ 15:48:47 by Ken Reeves
- June 28, 2017 @ 15:47:35 by Ken Reeves
- June 23, 2017 @ 17:13:20 by Ken Reeves
- June 23, 2017 @ 16:09:43 by Ken Reeves
- June 23, 2017 @ 03:43:44 by Ken Reeves
- June 22, 2017 @ 04:52:30 by Ken Reeves
- June 21, 2017 @ 21:16:01 by Ken Reeves
- June 21, 2017 @ 16:08:22 by Ken Reeves
- June 19, 2017 @ 17:18:29 by Ken Reeves
- June 19, 2017 @ 16:24:39 by Ken Reeves
- June 19, 2017 @ 16:21:28 by Ken Reeves
- June 19, 2017 @ 16:11:42 by Ken Reeves
- June 19, 2017 @ 15:43:44 by Ken Reeves
- June 19, 2017 @ 15:42:06 by Ken Reeves
- June 19, 2017 @ 14:56:10 by Ken Reeves
- June 16, 2017 @ 03:14:44 by Ken Reeves
- June 15, 2017 @ 23:33:33 by Ken Reeves
- June 15, 2017 @ 20:11:19 by Ken Reeves
- June 14, 2017 @ 22:57:16 by Ken Reeves
- June 14, 2017 @ 14:55:25 by Ken Reeves
- June 9, 2017 @ 18:36:12 by Ken Reeves
- June 8, 2017 @ 22:50:52 by Ken Reeves
- June 5, 2017 @ 15:27:22 by Ken Reeves
- May 18, 2017 @ 16:46:54 by Ken Reeves
- March 19, 2017 @ 14:28:02 by Ken Reeves
- March 19, 2017 @ 14:15:01 by Ken Reeves
- March 19, 2017 @ 14:13:51 by Ken Reeves
- July 11, 2016 @ 20:15:00 by Ken Reeves
- July 11, 2016 @ 19:49:31 by Ken Reeves
- June 20, 2016 @ 04:01:16 by Ken Reeves
- June 15, 2016 @ 01:47:08 by Ken Reeves
- May 2, 2016 @ 16:39:05 by Ken Reeves
- May 2, 2016 @ 15:23:51 by Ken Reeves
- February 4, 2016 @ 20:47:59 by Ken Reeves
- February 4, 2016 @ 18:00:36 by Ken Reeves
- February 4, 2016 @ 17:53:34 by Ken Reeves
- July 16, 2015 @ 16:34:51 by Ken Reeves
- July 16, 2015 @ 16:32:25 by Ken Reeves
- June 12, 2015 @ 19:26:13 by Ken Reeves
- June 9, 2015 @ 01:23:43 by Ken Reeves
- June 8, 2015 @ 22:09:31 by kcarey
- June 8, 2015 @ 22:09:28 [Autosave] by kcarey
- May 21, 2015 @ 01:54:37 by Ken Reeves
- May 6, 2015 @ 02:48:01 by Ken Reeves
- May 4, 2015 @ 20:30:36 by Ken Reeves
- August 6, 2014 @ 14:23:04 by Ken Reeves
- June 8, 2014 @ 21:48:54 by Ken Reeves
- June 8, 2014 @ 21:37:50 by Ken Reeves
- May 31, 2014 @ 18:36:46 by kcarey
- May 30, 2014 @ 21:53:47 by Mr. Duston
- May 30, 2014 @ 21:52:36 by Mr. Duston
- May 30, 2014 @ 21:51:57 [Autosave] by Mr. Duston
- May 27, 2014 @ 22:59:03 by Yiu Hung Li
- May 2, 2014 @ 19:17:47 by Ken Reeves
- April 28, 2014 @ 19:39:38 by Yiu Hung Li
- April 28, 2014 @ 19:39:35 [Autosave] by Yiu Hung Li
- April 22, 2014 @ 02:52:57 by Ken Reeves
- April 15, 2014 @ 13:14:30 by Ken Reeves
- April 15, 2014 @ 13:14:11 by Ken Reeves
- March 29, 2014 @ 00:15:14 by Yiu Hung Li
- March 28, 2014 @ 23:04:09 by Yiu Hung Li
- March 28, 2014 @ 22:59:20 by Yiu Hung Li